National Road Safety Week 2022
15 May 2022
National Road Safety Week is being held across Australia from 15 - 22 May 2022.
The week highlights the importance of driving safely at all levels in our community, and provides the opportunity to raise awareness about the level of road trauma and what we can do to improve outcomes.
Make your commitment to “Drive So Others Survive”.
Light Up Australia
In 2022, South Australian bridges, building and icons including Adelaide Oval, the Riverbank Footbridge and Adelaide Entertainment Centre will light up yellow to honour the memory of the 1,200 lives lost on Australian roads each year over the past decade.
Test your road safety knowledge
When must bike riders use their lights? Which lane do you use in a multi-lane roundabout when turning left? Test your road safety knowledge with our Road Safety Quiz
About National Road Safety Week
National Road Safety Week has been running since 2013. It is an initiative of Safer Australian Roads and Highways (SARAH), also known as the Sarah Group, and was established by Peter Frazer after his 23-year-old daughter Sarah was killed in a preventable road crash.
Traffic injury is the biggest cause of death for Australian children aged under 15, and the second biggest cause of death for all Australian’s aged 15 to 24.
Every year more than 44,000 people are seriously injured and more than 1,200 people lose their life on Australian roads. The social impacts are devastating to those affected, and the annual cost to the Australian economy has been estimated to be at least $27 billion.
As a road user, you can pledge to drive so others survive and help everyone get home safe.
Show your support
Whether you are travelling from work, visiting friends, picking up the kids or heading off on holiday, you can help make our roads safer by driving so others survive;
- Take the pledge to drive safely
- Discuss driving safely with your family and friends
- Promote your support for National Road Safety Week on social media using #DriveSOS
National Road Safety Week will focus on different areas of road safety throughout the week:
Watch the national television commercial with Shane Jacobson:
- Sunday 15 May: Remember the 1200 – Today we remember the lives lost on our roads.
- Monday 16 May: The Road to Zero – Take the pledge to drive so others survive.
- Tuesday 17 May: Road trauma - the true impact – Travel safe so we can all live without injury and trauma.
- Wednesday 18 May: Protect our protectors – Slow down to protect those who protect and assist us.
- Thursday 19 May: How safe is my car?– Think about safety when choosing a car. Check how safe your car is.
- Friday 20 May: Let’s all get home safe – When driving, slow down and look out for pedestrians.
- Saturday 21 May: Share the road – Give each other the space needed to be safe.
- Sunday 22 May: Take care on regional roads – Slow down, be alert and drive to the conditions.